Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purpose

This past Sunday I preached on the subject of ‘stewardship’.  I realize that this is not most people’s favorite subject…by a long shot.  The conclusion that I have come to is that it really is a matter of understanding purpose.  Do you know what your purpose is?  Have you ever really thought, ‘I am here on this earth for _______________’?  A further conclusion that I have come to is that we all have the same basic purpose.  If you were listening on Sunday, you surely remember, right?
Our purpose is to glorify God.  That is the simple truth.  Just like the creation we marvel at, we are a living, breathing sign on the road of life.  A sign that says, ‘this is what I value.’  Unfortunately, we often point away from God instead of towards HIM.  When I remember the mistakes of the past, it is with shame that I realize I had become a personal tour guide leading whoever happened to be watching away from God instead of towards.
The sad truth about my ‘humanity’ is that I have the ability to cross over from glorifying God to glorifying self in a New York minute (which I understand is pretty doggone quick).  That’s why it is so important that I be reminded often of my purpose in life.  Paul told Timothy in 1 Tim 4:16: “Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.”(NIV) I believe a good interpretation of that scripture is simply this: make sure your life and your teaching match up!  Be careful that you practice what you preach. 
When our words and claims say one thing and our life says another… we are confusing those watching us and we won’t be effective at fulfilling our purpose: that of pointing people towards God.  If that really is our purpose, stewardship is really about faithfully using ALL of our resources to accomplish that goal.  Where in your life are there resources that aren’t supporting your purpose?  How can you use your resources to better ‘point’ others to God? 
Peace,
Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment