Thursday, August 18, 2011

Loving God

2011 has been quite a year for us.  A year of growth.  A year of being sustained by God.  A year of watching one son become mr. married guy and two other sons become seniors and yep, the little miss graduated from L.E. (lower elementary) to M.E. (middle elementary).  Quite a year it was.  There is a thought that has stayed close for the last few months.  Those of you who worship with me have heard it a few times already.

Here it is: do I really love God more than anything else?  I know that I am supposed to.  I know that Jesus said that to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength is the greatest commandment.  My honest answer to that question keeps coming up short.  No matter what spin I try to put on it...there is no way I can say that HE is my NUMBER ONE.  Maybe number 3, or 4 or occasionally even 2.  I'm not proud of it.  But I am trying to be honest about it.  What about you?  Do you proudly take HIM into every situation and let HIS values and principles guide you?  Do you lie awake at night, craving HIS presence?  Do you spend time with HIM every day?  Is HIS Word your favorite read?

My goal for what is left of 2011 is to make more of God.  The funny thing is that is completely up to me.  I don't have to go get more training or pass another exam.  It isn't dependent upon any earthly measure of success.  If God is my heart's desire, I can have it, or rather, HIM.  Can I challenge you to join me in this prayer?

Father in heaven,


I know that I am supposed to love you more than anything else.
I want to love you more...  Would you please grant me the strength 
to pursue you ?  I want the desire for more of you to well up inside of me.
Help me to surrender all of me so that I could have all of you.


In the name of Jesus,
Amen


That doesn't have to be your prayer...but pray nonetheless.  Pray for more of God in your life.  More of Christ.  More of His Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment